The building was designed and built by Samu Pecz around 1897.
The Great Market Hall or Central Market Hall (Hungarian "Nagycsarnok"), on Fővám Tér in the 9th district, is the largest and oldest indoor market in Budapest. The idea of building such large market hall arose from the first mayor of Budapest, Károly Kamermayer, and it was his largest investment. He retired in 1896 so when the building was completed, he participated in the opening ceremony as a citizen.
It is located at the end of the famous pedestrian shopping street Váci utca and on the Pest side of the Liberty bridge.